1.15.2011

Hawaiian Entry #4 | Woven Bowl


Living in Charleston you get used to seeing a lot of woven handicrafts around the outdoor markets and stores. Sweetgrass baskets, also known as traditional Gullah "sweetgrass baskets," are coil straw baskets made by the descendants of slaves in the South Carolina Lowcountry. It is “the” item to buy if you are touring the area, however pricey they may be.

Young boys also make what is known as the “Palmetto Rose” from palm fronds around the city. I actually used the palmetto rose as boutonnieres for the men in my wedding! They were a big hit.

While walking around Hawaii (namely Maui and then again in Kona) we saw baskets woven from palm fronds. They were beautiful, and the seller assured me they could be taken home quite easily as he demonstrated packing it in my suitcase. I had to buy one considering they were a good hybrid mix of what you see in Charleston.

The green basket above is what I bought and it has since turned dry and more gray in color, but it is one of my favorite souvenirs from our Hawaii trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Charleston, South Carolina to your computer. I hope you enjoy. :)